Wednesday, April 30, 2014


Month 7: Mission 7: Focusing my Faith

Wow, I can't believe it's been 7 months since I've started this series! I'm so thankful that I decided to start this blog and chronicle my growth in becoming a better person! I'm grateful for each person who reads and comments. I'm just in a general mood of thanksgiving and I'm glad I've maintained this outlet...it has definitely been beneficial for me!


As April ends today, I HAD to be sure I shared my revelations from this month and the impact it has had on me. Before I get into that, let me just say that the idea for this month's Making of Me topic came to me about mid way through the month. The idea has been hammered home and revealed to me in deeper ways as the month continued. From messages at church to my own personal readings, it seems like I'm getting a resounding "YES" from every place I look!

Some hurt feelings and continued growth on my part made something crystal clear to me that I experienced like an "aha" moment this month. The idea I'm about to share may not be new to you, but for some reason, I think I "got it" this month. Here it is: People (man) will ALWAYS let you down. Your mom, spouse, children, best friend...everyone will disappoint you in some way or another at some point in your life. Love them anyway. Teach them anyway. Learn from them anyway. Be with them anyway. And YOU will do the same...disappoint, hurt, offend, etc. It's all part of the human experience and knowing this takes away some of the sting often felt when you're "let down" by someone. Remembering this can keep things in perspective and allow you to keep being you even when other people seem to be trippin. Focusing your faith...by relying on, believing in, and honoring no man more than you honor , believe in, and rely on God should help keep your feelings in check and negative reactions at bay.

Now, the earth may not have moved for you by reading what I just wrote, (look at it again though, it is DEEP, lol!) but for me, it's big! Within this realization comes a very liberating feeling in that I don't have to carry the burden of someone else's disappointment because of something that I did or didn't do. In understanding that no matter how hard I try, how much I do or don't do, how frequently I acquiesce (or not) to someone else's desires, it won't always be enough to make everyone happy all the time. And likewise, those I love will say rude things, doubt me, behavior oddly, etc. But getting all bent out of shape, and being devastated and unable to move past it, is my choice. I can deliberately choose to focus my faith not on man...who will let you down, but instead on God and thus, move forward in love.

Too often I'm too easily shaken by other people when their behavior, words, and actions aren't what I would consider kind or appropriate. But what I'm discovering is that part of my hurt feelings come from the fact that I had been putting too much faith in people and not enough in God. Focus your faith...then you'll see the truth!

Holla if you hear me! This topic is sooooo real to me, but seemed a little difficult to articulate in the same manner that I feel it. I'd love to know your thoughts so leave a comment or two below and let me know if you get it and can relate...at all!

Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment